Bobcat Banner

Supply Drops In “Call of Duty” Are a Complete Rip-Off

By: Dylan Fournier

Back to Article
Back to Article

This is the supply drop from

This is the supply drop from "Advanced Warfare"

Have you ever bought something in a game that you thought would be totally awesome but it ends up being the worst purchase ever? This column explores the disappointments of “Advanced Warfare” and “Black Ops 3s” supply drops and why they are a rip-off from the Call of Duty store.

SledgeHammer Games developed “Advanced Warfare” and released it in 2014. They created the idea of supply drops which you acquire during game play that includes new clothing, weapons, and exos. All of this equipment was fairly easy to get during  game play until the developers added the AE4 and OHM laser weapons. After unlocking these weapons with the purchase of a DLC pack it becomes much harder to gain new variants of the new weapons, clothes and exo’s during game play.

The other way to get supply drops is to purchase them through the Call of Duty store ranging from $1.99 to $49.99. Big time youtubers like Ali-A and M3RKMUSIC began purchasing supply drops creating a frenzy within the gaming industry. SledgeHammer raked in well over one billion dollars globally according to fortune.com.

In my experience, supply drops yield little variety of professional and elite weaponry. This is a common opinion among gamers who have voiced this to Sledgehammer games. Sledgehammer games did nothing to help address the gaming communities complaints, which lead to many gamers pulling away from Advanced Warfare to play older games like “Black Ops II” or “Modern Warfare.”

In February of 2015, “Black Ops 3” was announced and people were eagerly waiting to play this new game from Treyarch. Gamers were optimistic about the fact that the beta version of this game did not have supply drops. Gamers were interested and in-game money was introduced including cryptokeys in multiplayer and liquid divinium in zombies game mode. In the official game release of “Black Ops 3”, gamers found the new “The Black Market” which allowed you to purchase new weapons, clothes, and camos by earning cryptokeys during in-game play.

Unfortunately the variety in “The Black Market” is lacking and is dependent on updates to the game for new weaponry and armor. In zombie mode, “Dr. Monty’s Factory” allows you to purchase gobble gums using liquid divinium. Gobble gums are mini-perks that last for a limited time during game play.

Ranking up and earning these perks during game play is a much better way to go as opposed to spending money on perks that have a limited shelf life. That’s when it hit the players hard. Supply drops were re-introduced into “Black Ops 3” using cryptokeys and COD points. This is the only way to open up common or rare supply drops.

Treyarch made it easier to get common camos for your weapons, but more difficult to get epic or legendary items. Gamers were very upset about this and started to send hate comments to Treyarch about the supply drops. Treyarch is only doing this for the money, failing miserably in addressing the fans and what they would like to see. Zombies is the exception, where Treyarch added the PPSH in Gorod Korovi.

Treyarch needs to allow the purchase of the weapons individually or include them in the purchase of a season pass. They should do this for the gamers and fans, not themselves, because the bottom line means nothing if you don’t have the consumers buying your product.